Monday, February 11, 2008

Sure, let's get a bit more busy.



February is not a good month in a northern climate for your furnace to break. As if to underline the fact I'm still learning about life in Japan, it turns out that if one uses their kerosine heater on too low a level for years in a row, it will break. No one ever told me this! Nor was the logic clear that if by using a lower level one tries to save fuel they will in fact be breaking something. My heater several levels; low, medium and high. The heater never need much prompting to release the fires of Hell into my living room. The lowest level was always more than enough. I feared at medium level the heater just would melt into a solid block of metal and plastic and wires. It turns out using higher levels is well within the design and will in fact keep the heater cleaner. In Canada there is no need for such esoteric knowledge. I hope the next ALT from Stony Plain is reading this! I'm blessed to have such a great office that somehow they got the repairman here on the Sunday afternoon of a long weekend. Why does stuff always break on Sundays!?!? I searched long for the right word to describe the high workmanship of the Japanese repair man - detailed? efficient? - meticulous is the right word and he left my house cleaner then when he arrived. For the record, the house is toasty as I write this. Stay tuned for a post and pictures about my weekend badminton tournament.

No comments: