Monday, February 11, 2008

Badminton tourney





What a fun weekend! I wranged enough teachers into joining the Shikaoi team badminton tournament with me. This tournament was easier than the Shikaoi open badminton tournament last year which I lost horribly to much better players but was also bigger with around 45 people in five teams. We ended up winning but I feel bad for my doubles partner who bared the brunt of the work as the opposing team consistently hit to them to avoid having me get a shot. This left only difficult defensive shots for me and I was tired at the end of the day. I was all over the court in odd positions to save a rally-point. Good training for me and in the end, even with the pressure on my partner, she still got the winning shot, and it was beautiful. Where I played the majority of my games was next to the playroom. This meant my young students who came with there parents intently watched the games through the window. A teacher humorously suggested it was like Shikaoi Zoo. Also, to add an interesting cultural note, our gift pack for winning included [pictured]; cup-a-noodle (haven't eaten them since high school), iced coffee (way too much sugar for me) and some kind of synthetic peach drink I wasn't going near. I took the offered shuttles because I was the only person who would use them.

No comments: