Monday, February 25, 2008

My Funny Knees

Running, which continues to consume so much of my time and energy, feels an appropriate thing to comment on today. I had a bit of a scare this week with my knees. They were unusually achy. Not the joint itself but the stablizing muscles on either side and front. The possiblity of knee injury is a constant concern to runners because it could be a career ending injury. I have weathered creaky knees in the past but I know at some point my luck will run out. I ran anyways and my knees feel good today, if not quite 100%. I ran twice on Saturday, in the morning a very high paced 40 min run (10min/mile) with a 10 min warm up/cool down. (To make it an even hour, I did 15 min on the rowing machine too. I despise that thing because I'm a clutz and I feel like its going to eat my pitiful frame and someone will find me dead, tangled up in exercise equipment.) Then before dinner my normal 1h 10min run. On Sunday I ran what's called a long slow run; that was around 1h 35min give or take. That pace has improved a lot in the last two years but it still plodding compared to olymipic athletes. After the hour mark it always becomes a challage. I slept very well Sunday night. I would run today but the sport center and trim center is closed and I am not equiped to run outside, in the dark, on icy roads. Tomorrow is also no running, instead I will play badminton.

No comments: