Thursday, February 07, 2008

金曜日にまむなく

Once again we have arrived at Friday. As I look back to find the funniest moment I discovered that not everything will traslate into writting. Sometimes you just had to be there. However, one moment with my grade ones does stick out in my mind that had all us teachers wondering, where do they get this stuff? To set the scene, I was introducing the Canadian Nickel. Engaging the students, the homeroom teacher asked what was written on the Japanese 5-yen coin. About five students answered in unison, with the confidence on the young can muster, hen na ojisan. Which translates roughly as strange old man. Even myself, use to their hijinks, had to try to hide my smile as the homeroom teacher explained, after a pause, only the year and denomination is printed on the coin.

No comments: