Friday, September 28, 2007

As I type this

Last weekend's trip to Sapporo feels like it puts a lot of pressure on the weekend coming up. There are a couple extraneous chores that need to be done that normally get done every Saturday, but I would also like to [i]not[/i] spend money like I have a hole in my pocket. Last weekend I was feeling top of the world, just getting paid right before I left. This weekend, knowing how much money I left in Sapporo last weekend, will leave me looking for cover. I also really want to read this weekend. Something so simple that still didn't seem to get done this week. Maybe I will even read tonight if I can bring myself to stay up past 9PM. Badminton continues to go well even though I lose all the time. My badminton friends and I keep getting closer despite the fact we have nothing in common but badminton. I was invited to a badminton clinic in November - wasn't that a fun concept to get across. It will be hosted by some of the same people I play with week in and week out but this time I will have the pleasure of paying 500 Yen for the honour of losing and the straining to glean meaning from their lessons. What great fun!

Weather today was a challenge. It changed depending on when one looked out the window. The challenge comes when I ask students what the weather is. Their limited vocabularies can't keep up with the changing conditions. I have also decided to change direction in how I teacher kindergarden english. Somethings are already taken as fact, such as a great stratification of English skills and ability between 2 year olds and 5 year olds in the same class. Recently the composition of one class has changed, making the class bottom heavy. I only have 4 five year olds and a couple of four year olds, that leaves a lot of three year olds and two year olds compared to even five months ago. I have been treating them as a regular kindergarden classes with lots of 4 and 5 year olds, but it has become apparent this is not the case anymore. Trust me, the 3 year olds were still have tonnes of fun - we're talking about an age group that amuses itself with string - but 5 year olds' games are vastly different than what a 3 year old is capable off and it has lead to a real comedy of errors lately keeping us teachers on our toes. I think were are planning a fall walk next time but after that I will have to brainstorm some hand games that don't require anything more but to copy me.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: