Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Clean Up



The Sun is just trying to break though the thin grey clouds. The snow has stopped after about 20 hours. I doubt there was anything left to fall. It stopped around 10 PM last night. The clean-up didn't being until early this morning and continues even now. I decided to abandon the car this morning and just walk to work to get a look at everything. Where on Wednesday there was dry pavement and brown grass sits today huge drifts of snow, some taller than the machines that made them. Today on the roads there is a mixture of people walking, snow removal vehicles and cautious drivers. You need tractors to remove the snow because it's wet and heavy and then there's just the shear amount of it. Any space of decent size needs to be mechanically cleared and this is slowly happening.

For a while yesterday afternoon it was hard to see any road infront of my house. I tried to get a picture but the strange effect couldn't be captured. You'll have to imagine: snow up to the top of your tires, coming over the hood in places, a road with barely a couple of tracks in it, no sides to the street at all, and the snow and the sky mixed together in an overcast grey colour with little contrast. I think everyone got stuck, including me; I needed to be pushed out twice. I also helped push two vehicles out. Got to keep the karma going.The only vehicles that had a fighting chance were the really big 4x4 Toyota Landcruiser-types. The light super-compact Japanese cars were no match for the wet sticky snow. What fun!

Above are pictures I took yesterday and below is a picture of my house I took this morning.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok...I think for the first time in my life I was actually happy to see pictures of snow. It's like 95-100F just outside of Chicamalia (probably spelled wrong, sorry). Who knew you could sweat from so many places =p