Monday, March 27, 2006

そうべつ会

This time of year in Shikaoi brings many changes in the workplace. This period is when all staff (having been around for three or more years) rotate to another position within the town. Yesterday's big commitment was the Board of Education "farewell" banquet attend by about forty people from the library, kindergarten, seniors program (all run under the Board of Education in Shikaoi). The biggest change is that our superintendent is leaving.

The main meal was held at Bikuri Sushi, which means "Surprise Sushi," which I guess can sound like a bit of a turn off, but really its always good to eat there. Sadly, I was far away from the Sukiyaki and didn't get much to eat. On of the advantages of living in a small town is the ability to drop in unannouced. So I was still able to get fed after the party at Tori Sei. The party started slow, but it was very nice to mingle later with many people I don't get to see very often. And though I spoke lots of Japanese, I am always very surprised with the number of people who can speak English in Shikaoi. Not much else to report. There are many kids in the building right now because there are spring vacation workshops going on. I also plan to study Kanji in a little while.

2 comments:

James said...

so what happens?
do they take teaching jobs elsewhere?
or are they enrolled in some entirely different form of civil service?

bb said...

Well, two in our office are retiring. I didn't know this until after the party. And one is moving to another division within the town.