Monday, November 07, 2005

If you travel in Sapporo



I have had some questions about the above image and would like to take the opportunity to expand on it. I believe it is an image that can lead to many insights about Japanese culture, and, furthermore, what has come to pass as normal for me here on a day to day basis. This is just what daily life is like. Sometimes funny, sometimes incomprehensible. What is behind me - that is to say, where I took the shot - is just as interesting as the image. Because of an attitude that all available space should be use maximally, these area take on various uses. This is taken in one of four main concourses at Sapporo station, in the first of two underground halls connection various shops, department stores, restaurants, subway systems and pedestrian underpasses. Behind me is just packed with people either shopping or going to the train station (above) or the subway station (below). I find it quite exhilarating, but some find it overwhelming. It's very labyrinth like if you don't have your wits about you.

For some reason there's a single wall of glasses enclosing a small cooking school. I think they were making donuts. It may seem odd to just put this down here, but overall the impression I'm left with is that this type of activity adds to the area's vibrantly. The only reason to get worked up over it is if you want to take a picture of it. If I may draw your attention to the women on the left; she is waving at me, however, you may also notice the woman on the left foreground thinks that it is her that is being waved at. How very post-modern... and an interesting moment for my camera to capture.

I have also included below a picture of the Sapporo Christmas tree. You can't really see it but they are broadcasting something from the foot of the tree to the left. A old movie star or something was MCing and wearing sunglasses inside. A nice tree though; its real by the way. Also I have included a shot of Sapporo station from afar. You can see JL tower there, where we went later. Sorry the image quality is kind of sketchy, it was at the very limits of my camera to take the shot. Also srectching the limits of my camera is the image of the little Buddhist stuppa resting on the top of a mountain. I am only able to get that angle because we are on a higher mountain. I've seen it many times before from below because the Suginome's neighborhood, Fushimi, is just to the left, out of frame.




No comments: