Monday, January 02, 2006

おしょうがつ


I apologize for my sketchy posting this week. I have been very busy. The various pictures in this post represent what I have been up to this week. What impressed me the most was how welcomed I felt in so many different Shikaoi homes. After three days, I finally found the time to look over my pictures, do some laundry, read and lastly - recharge before the holiday ends.


At the Usui's this week I was treated to hand-made sushi - which was quite a treat - I must say. It was made by Mrs. Usui's sister and niece. For the record: it was delicious and fresh and just perfect for oshogatsu. My Dad probably doesn't care; but I have no idea where they got such fresh fish on New Years because it looked - to me - like everything in town was shut down. I promised I would post an image for them so they could see it after the fact. And to the left is an image of their final product. I am quite proud of the image directly below of me pouring Mrs. Usui a drink. In Japanese culture it is traditional to pour the other person's drink out of respect. Most days I am not fast enough (because I am really clueless). But that particular day, I was on the top of my game and had Kazeteru snap this shot of my proud moment. I am proud of the shot because it is one of the only small ways that I can ever repay the kindness I - and my family - have received from the Usui family. The next image I personally like; it illustrates family and friends gathering around to listen to Mr. Usui talk about his late brother's guitars. (Interestingly, the one he is holding in the image is particularly rare.)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

At the Suzukis we were treated to an absolute feast of Japanese delicacies. I also tried my hand at a Japanese card game and doubled my money given to me by Mrs. Suzuki; much to the other players' chagrin. (Now I can buy some ice tea - maybe two.) I promised Mr. Suzuki that next time I would partake in his outdoor traditional Japanese hot tub. This is not just lip service. I love Japanese onsens. (It's actually heated by a wood fire; how cool is that?) And even though the risk of being cooked alive creeps into my mind, I really - really - want to try it in winter.


It was great to meet Fukiko Sakaguchi's whole family, even her eldest son from Osaka came up (who oddly enough knows Sean from his 2000 trip). Another great spread was put in front of us with delicacies from all over Japan. The real prize was giant cold water crabs from Russia, lightly steamed to perfection by Fukiko. Note the image of Mr. Sakaguchi taking charge of serving everyone, making sure everyone gets as much as they can eat. The family had also decorated the outside of the house by placing candles around the property. The process was interesting, they had first made containers out of ice and then put the lit candles in them; creating the interesting contradiction of fire and ice. A light snow that evening added to the tranquil atmosphere. (The candles remind me of something the Gardners use to do.)

No comments: