Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Doughnut


This elitist of a doughnut showed up at 7-11 a couple of months ago and, needless to say, since then, I've been dying to try it. 7-11's in Hokkaido have a reputation of being the test bed for future products before they roll out nationwide. The number of novel food items passed through has never ceased to amaze me. It always concluded the same way, one day they would be there, the next gone - discontinued. This particular doughnut is made specially for 7-11 by some high-end Tokyo pâtissier, though one could argue, being placed in 7-11 questions such a pedigree. Upon learning the doughnut had a whooping 376 calories I was amazed: Had the makers stumbled onto sometype of rift in the space-time continuum? Had they bent the laws of physics to make such a sinful deight? It was like staring at some type of new energy source to power the future. The secret is partially clear: deep-fry sugary rich goodness and then dip it in chocolate. Many times I passed the shelf, knowing that one day it would be gone and imagining the shear eastacy of bite after dite, but resisted. Today was that day. My co-workers and I learned a value lesson: I need to eat more sugar because I had a nasty post-sucrose crash and my co-worker don't ever want see me eat sugerbecause they get along with hyperactive Blair. (I jest!)

No comments: