Monday, September 25, 2006

Shikaoi Tei Dinner

I had some extra gift certificates left - because I am so lucky, and being Monday, went to Shikaoi Tei, a local restaurant, for dinner. Shikaoi Tei is run by an older couple who I have gotten to know quite well. Actually, at first they crushingly shy of me but once they noticed I wasn't going away, they warmed up substantially. Shikaoi-Tei is known in town for katsu, a kind of breaded and fried pork cutlet. Something so devilishly delicious I'd eat it everyday if I didn't know it would stop my heart. They have various other things on the menu but today I spoiled myself and got the katsu meal deal. I got rice, miso soup, vegetables, and cabbage salad with my katsu. Everything was so good. In all, as long as your not eating it everyday, it happens to be a very health and balanced meal. I always feel healthy and good after I eat there, it's nothing like eating western food. Today the miso soup was a bit different. Normally, I really like their miso soup. (I have never wanted to say anything because it could be from 7-11 for all I know.) The recipe was slightly changed and I found large chunks of fresh trout in my miso soup. Soooo good. Such a deep flavor.

I didn't happen to go out with anyone tonight, just myself and a book for company. One can find many people dining alone in Japan because often it costs as much to eat-in as to eat-out (especially if no alcohol is ordered). A little known fact - but something always in the fore here - is that Japan runs a massive food deficit and is no where near capable of feeding themselves. Imported food is a necessity (up to 70% is imported) which puts Japan at the whim of other countries for their food supply. Also, the price of most food is strongly leveraged to the price of oil (because it all must be transported here).

There was some tragic news on national TV tonight. Nothing to be wrung for its humor I'm afraid. A negligent driver on his way home crashed into a group of kindergarten students on their way to a nearby park in Saitama prefecture (near Tokyo), killing two and injuring a dozen, all between the ages of 0-5. A very senseless accident in a cruel universe if you ask me.

No comments: