Monday, September 11, 2006

Monday Blues

I didn't wake up Monday morning expecting things to turn so blue. I already feel beat down this week. My body is sore and there are a million things swirling around in my head that need to be dealt with. And of course the worst part of it is is that it is only Monday. Can my week still spiral down after this? The one bright, shining, glowing part of my week is my students. I walk into school and I practically get tackled; everyone has news, or a question, or a simple hello. All I have to deal with is their problems, which somehow seem manageable. "There's a big hairy bug over there!" "He's not sitting still!" "I can't find my pencil (or shoes or handout etc.)" It is not the fairest of analogies but I think it has a lot to do with the reasons people get dogs. The dogs are always happy to see their owner. There are a lot of things different about teaching from that analogy but I find it very easy to shelve my problems and worries and focus my energies. The children's spirits are overwhelming, it relief for awhile.

I will go for run tonite and try to put some kilometers between me and decisions I need to make. I ran a lot during the summer, and while I have absolutely no goal in mind, it is something I want to keep up with. (One of my weird quirks about running.) It is starting to get dark early now, so my routine will have to change soon to running inside at the sport center after work (like last winter). Two differences I have noticed from this summer is that I don't sweat nearly as early into my run. Now it takes at least forty minutes until I am completely drenched in sweat. And secondly, after even an hour hard running I can find my breath quickly soon after I stop.

No comments: