Friday, May 12, 2006

今日はいい春の日です

I just thought I would put down my thoughts because I was especially struck today by the foreingness of my surroundings. To begin, it was beautiful today. "The Perfect Spring Day," if I had to name it. That little bit of rain the day before - a down pour really by Albertan standards - did much to green things up. The fields around Shikaoi are either patches of rich black soil or perfect carpets of emerald green. Somethings seem silly to try to capture with a camera. Getting out of my car at Kamihoronai Sho Gakko it hit me how unnaturally silent it was. In reality, of course, Nature despises a vacuum, and the area around the school was filled with sounds; it was just the total lack of any traffic noise that brought them to my attention. So what if we don't have the metropolitan ballet; I am very lucky to live in an area where when I shut off my car I silence the only engine for kilometers. So what could I hear as I walked unhurriedly toward the entrance of the school? Birds singing, for one, tinged with joy. A gentle and refreshing breeze that seemed to be put there just for me. And if you were really lucky you could hear - carried on that breeze - the laughter of my students inside the school doing whatever carefree students ought to be doing. And all was right in the World. And maybe, I think I heard - being the perfect spring day - I think I could even hear the green grass growing.

No comments: