Friday, October 07, 2005

Pure Malt Center

I come writing to you today from the Pure Malt Center. There`s a lot one could say about one of Shikaoi`s most interesting facilities. To begin, the name of this building probably needs some explanation. "PURE MALT". I know what you`re thinking, and your partly right, but mostly wrong. This building has nothing to do with beer, however; whoever named the building was trying to invoke to image of the fermenting of different peoples into something more as an analogy to the function of the building. I am skeptical that any of this translates well into Japanese, but maybe they have a pamphlet I haven`t seen.

The look of the building is amazing. I apologize for not having pictures and will work to rectify it. The structure is a perfectly round doughnut with a sloping roof to that invokes - to me - the winter climate of Hokkaido. The inside of the building is equally impressive, reminding me of an IKEA catalogue (but in a good way). Most of the interior in is finished in a soft pine wood and looks beautiful; people`s footfalls land softly. Even though the form of the building is modern the open wood work is native to Japan. At the moment I`m writing to you on what I would call the library side (for quiet reading and writing). The left side of the doughnut is devoted to meeting rooms. This is where many local bands, from teenage punk bands to the more traditional fare, can meet and practice. The doughnut also has a small housing complex attached where young women and men studying agriculture can stay for free in Shikaoi (there is a lot more I could say on this particular topic). I think its a great facilities and only more the so because its across the street and one house away from my house. Why haven`t I come here before?

This weekend in Shikaoi, actually in the parking lots of the building where I work, is the Shikaoi Soba Omatsuri, which is a soba noodle festival. Shikaoi prides itself on its excellent selection of soba and - with the harvest almost all in - holds a Festival to highlight the local cuisine to other towns in the area.

People in Shikaoi say that their soba is famous in Japan. This is somewhat of a misnomer but can lead to insighful conclusions about Japanese culture. They are right to be proud of their labours but its a bit misleading to say its famous in Japan, let me explain: Every single town says their famous for such-and-such. I`ve seen it all before in various different incarnations and if you were to ask someone in Tokyo or Osaka how much they love Shikaoi soba you would be met with a blank stare. A further example in Tokachi (the area of Hokkaido I live in) is that people say we`re famous for our many hot springs. But, the fact of the matter is that all of Japan one big volcano and there are hot springs absolutely everywhere (well, not literally everywhere, but you get the gist). Now, I don`t want to diminish the luster of soba too much nor the extremely relaxing and enjoyable times to be had at the local onsen (hot spring). I do agree that Shikaoi`s soba is delicious and - therefore - tomorrow I will be having lunch there.

No comments: