Sunday, June 17, 2007

Cicadas

If anything conjurs up images of stiflingly hot days for me it's the sounds of Cicadas. The high-pitched whine is alien to Alberta but familar to all Japanese. The cicadas cry is loudest when the sun is high in the sky, giving the impression the air is stiller and hotter than it really is. This weekend it was louder than I remember, completely drowning out my tunes while running passed a strand of trees. I don't think any description can do it justice; it's hard to describe the exact sensation becuase it blends seamlessly into life. Considering how strongly the sound is assoicted with hot sunny periods makes me realize how Japanese I am becoming, despite assumptions to the opposite.

2 comments:

Monsta said...

oh, so that's what making those noises...

i watch a lot of animes and on hot sunny scenes there's always this insect sound in the background...

moreover, each and every said anime had the same type of insect sound...

bb said...

Hahahah... Exactly!!