Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Paging Dr. Usui



Returning to Shikaoi: Making his first formal appearance on my blog is someone whom I'm fortunate to call friend; Kazuteru. Last night in characteristically understated Shikaoi fashion with a meal at Tori-sei we lemented his eminent departure from Japan and celebrated his acceptence at Stanford Unviersity in sunny California to do post-graduate research on DNA I can't possibly understand. So - thou I'm sure he'll hate it - it's Dr. Usui to the rest of us mere mortals. It's equally uncommon for someone from Shikaoi, or Stony Plain for that matter, to be accepted to Stanford and thus, I feel, it's a cause for great happiness. Timing was perfect as my house was still empty from the trip and I had to eat, right? Above is a picture of Kazuteru looking academic and stately and, in fairness, to placate him, I have included a picture of me stuffing my face with some of the best onigiri on the planet. (Since discovering Tori Sei riceballs I can barely face the 7-11 variety. Tori Sei's are shaped by hand and filled only with the highest quality ingredients. My favorite would be salmon, caringly grilled over charcoal right at the restaurant, giving the rice ball a succulent burst of internal flavor, matched with slightly salted rice.)

No comments: