Monday, March 03, 2008

Skipping Posts

Updating on Monday is part of my normal routine but it completely skipped my mind yesterday. I apologize as I was engrossed in researching details for an upcoming trip. I guess this is as good as time as any to reveal my travels plans for March. My Uncle Terry and Aunt Judy will be joining me for a trip that will bring us to Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto with stops in Wakayama-ken. Needless to say I'm very exicted to be meeting family, getting a shipment of Canadian peanut butter and seeing more of Japan. We'll start in Hokkaido by coming to Shikaoi, hoping to ease into the densely populated urban settings most Japanese call home and getting in touch with Japan's majestic nature. Then were off to Tokyo; highlights which include Harajuku on Sunday to people watch and an early morning trip to the renown Tsukiji fish market. Osaka is the preemine shopping and dinning city in Japan but from here we will also be making a day trip to Nara to see the Great Buddha at Todaiji. The sight alone nearly turning me into a Buddhist two years ago. We're eating fugu in Osaka so if we make it to Kyoto I really want to see the National Museum and Nijo Castle which I missed last time and make sure we don't miss Kiyomizudera or Sanjusangendo. In Wakayama-ken we'll stay for one night in an old temple on the famous Mount Koya and also visit the southern most tip of Honshu in Kushimoto which is home to some of the most beautiful coast line in Japan. Kushimoto is scarcely covered in english guide books but many Japanese speak highly of it. Were planning to make the best of the coast lines by booking sea kayaks. For our last meal together in Kyoto we'll be returning to Yoshizen for a memorable meal in Gion. Lots and lots of stuff in between these highlights; for one, I'm reviving my goal of eating my way through Japan. If everything is timed perfectly and the weather gods cooperate, we'll be able to witness the cherry blossoms in ancient Kyoto. My aunt and uncle get here on the 15th, we leave for the south on the 21st, and I return home on April 1st.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good trip. Did you do the planning of where to go, or your aunt and uncle?