Friday, July 14, 2006

Has this ever happened to you?

Some of the best fun to be had in Japan is opening one's door to delivery people in Japan. My Mom joined into the game with an incredible and rare occurrence yesterday. Seeing the face of, say, a Japanese Jehovah Witnesses (whom almost every Saturday) come around and find a foreigner can be a priceless event. But add to this such a rare and illogical occurrence - probably having only occurred a couple of times in the history of the world - makes it definitely worth a post. Last month my caring family sent a package of peanut butter and what not. It was taking forever to get here. I was hoping it would get here before my Mom or else it would seem like a waste having sent it by sea when she could have carried it. I had been out at the office during the afternoon and she had been home resting and preparing. She claims to have seen the little post office van - and I do mean little - and knew that my package was arriving. The mindblowing thing is how rare it must be that the same person that sent a package also receive it. My Mom tried to explain the importance of the package - that she was the person that sent it - to the delivery man, but by all accounts it was lost on him. I think she did a great job in her solo encounter with Japanese culture.

No comments: