Thursday, January 07, 2016

2016 AEC Industry Forecast. Now with Comments!


I’m a sucker for forward looking articles. I’m always on the lookout for predictions of substance on topics I’m passionate about. Reading through Engineering News Record’s 2016 construction trends article I found some useful highlights. But first an apology; I’m really really sorry for the forced Christmas song structure the article takes at points. I’m sure it was just meant as light-hearted attempt to make the article more readable at Christmas but for me, it just makes the article longer without adding quality content. And it’s after Christmas. Below are the article’s main suggestions with my comments:

  • Economic forecast for North America looks vaguely positive. I vaguely agree.
  • Adopt future technology. Chances are if a firm isn’t already planning to do this they have much bigger problems.
  • Try to understand global factors. Always good advice but where does one find the time?
  • Aging Infrastructure. Did the author really just predict infrastructure would get older in the future?
  • Sustainability. I’m so far past this trend. I consider sustainability factors core to all modern building design. 
  • Take care of: experienced staff members, long-standing satisfied customers, solid financials and reputation. I don’t get this one. Isn’t this just common sense in the 21st century marketplace? Nor is this specific to the AEC industry.
  • Expect rare events. The author evidently read Nassim Nicholas Taleb’s The Black Swan in 2015.
  • More women in the AEC industry. About time. Let’s keep moving forward on this.
  • Firms should focus on their social responsibility. This is insightful if one accepts the assumption the values of the marketplace are shifting. Other firms will probably still advocate advertising in newspapers.
  • Safety. Yes. Let’s continue to encourage amazingly safe working conditions for all involved in building endeavors.
  • Alternative energy will continue to grow in importance. I will only add solar panels are easier to integrate into a good design than windmills.  
  • The winning 2016 presidential candidate will have an effect on AEC industry. So think carefully. While trivially true I’d also like to point out the current crop of presidential candidates’ building design credentials are underwhelming.
Any comments from our readers? I know you’re out there. Are these predictions insightful? Too trivial? Cheesy?

No comments: