Sunday, November 25, 2007

It's okay it's Monday

What a wild morning! We had visitors at Shikaoi Elementary School from the Ministry of Education who watched my grade one English class. Besides the implications that even the federal government is interested in Shikaoi's English program, the way people were treating the situation like an approaching rock star was comical and it kept me relaxed. Also keeping me relaxed was the fact that I was kept in the dark about most of the days details, except for my class, which a small core of people had been planning since last week. It went as well as can be expected with a class of forty-five grade ones. It's like training a goldfish; doable, but not always predictable. Ten teachers, which was not special for the class, also helped. I honestly had fun.

Also making me smile today was picking up a package at the post office. From the notes left behind, I knew I had already missed the package twice, such is the penalty when one lives in a country that still has Saturday and Sunday delivery. But I digress; I went to the post office at first opportunity Monday and discovered my package was unfortunately out for delivery again for the third time. The guy that is helping me got on his cellphone to contact the driver who is out on delivery. I know this because soon there after, waiting and watching out the window, I see the poor driver return on his motorcycle, appear, disappear around the corner, come in the back door and, in his outdoor coat, walk straight over and hand me the package. I felt horrible for them to go through all the trouble of calling the diver back. I'm really not worth effort. I would have insisted they deliver it to the Board of Education had I known he was planning on calling the driver back; he left out off earshot when he got on the phone. The package turned out to be a wonderful box of Canadian chocolates from my Grandma M. I try to eat sweets only in the morning on the 18th century notion that it will burn the calories off throughout the day. In reality, I probably just like the sugar rush in the morning. I must admit at the first sight it was chocolate I ripped into the first package. I will save the second for the office to spread some Christmas cheer tomorrow.

It was so beautiful when I got up this morning, walking to work the wind was warm not unlike the Chinooks we get in Calgary. However, things have changed nasty in the last hour of work. Not it is raining. I'm not confident it will stay as rain as the temperature drops over night.

No comments: