Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Red Moon


As reported extensively around the world, there was a lunar eclipse last night. Unlike in Canada where it occurred in the ungodly early hours of the Wednesday morning, it happened in Japan at a leisurely 7 o'clock PM. I made the effort to see the lunar eclipse - which really wasn't that great of a hardship - because I liked the idea that someone in Canada could be staring back at the exact same red moon at the exact same moment as me. I haven't heard any reports that this was the case, but it's romantic and inspiring nonetheless. Another inspiring thought that enters one's mind when staring up at the heavens - and also a humbling thought - is just how vast the solar system, galaxy and universe are. Rarely, except during celestial events, does the thought that we are on a rock hurtling through a vacuum cross our minds.

I was especially relieved I could get a picture before taking off to badminton. I was a bit late in getting a spot in the country side and thus readers can vaguely see the moon slipping out of the earth's shadow in the upper left.

2 comments:

ND said...

good picture though

bb said...

Thx! It's actually super cropped. Surprising I toned down some of the red. Who knew the moon would be that red?!?!