Thursday, August 16, 2007

News In Japan While I Was Away

Because I like news and don't cover it nearly enough on my blog, I thought I would take this opportunity to update my readers on what happened in Japan while I was away. With great sadness I must report that much of the news while I was away was pretty grim, with domestic violence taking the lead in a land where random acts of violence are practically unknown. Politically, the honorable Prime Minister Abe flounder through yet another month with low approval ratings, looking weak through continuing petty scandals. The Japanese foriegn minister visited Israel and while I don't know much about the meeting, it still sounds like the basis for a great sitcom. There was surprising little earthquake news except from Peru, but that happen after I got back. Environmentally, the heat wave grabbed the most headlines while I was away. While the death tolled stayed low, suit-clad newscasters had a field day interviewing irate, sweaty shoppers and emphatically reporting record temperatures and humidity index information. And how could I not forget the human interest stories ending the evening news this week showing Japanese flocking to Graceland to commemorate the King's death.

No comments: