Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Fitting in on the fly.

As I was calmly writing a post a co-worker hurriedly came in and asked me if I could help with something. I had a rough idea of what it was about because I knew some of my students were practicing Shikaoi's famous White Snake Dance in the hall. Tired from sitting at my desk and anxious to learn something new - even if it included dancing - I jumped up to help.

Now that it's evening I can reflect on the experience and I thought it would make a good post. Details about the White Snake Festival can be read here. Previously, I have had the opportunity to hold one of the supports and the snakes are far heavier then they appear. Running around again and again while holding them in a practice only served to reinforced this belief. In addition, I should also mention we were using a duplicated shorter pair made for the children's version. The practices really can't run if someone is missing which is why they needed someone. My height made the maneuvers awkward because I was so much taller than everyone else. There was a particular move toward the end, where the troop dips under the snake, where I got my head hit several times. I think this will exclude me from participating in any performances with the group in the future.

Lately I have been thinking a lot about how normal things feel; how routine things have become. This practice was a good example of this. Sometimes, regardless of effort, foreigners just stick out in Japan. But today among my students and teachers I felt helpful and included. This is oddly illustrated with the fact it sometimes means my students ignore my presence (but in the end every child wants attention). Also, because I understood my students' temperaments involved, I could be of great service helping keep the kids focused and motivated (I was commented on this later). I was tired from the practice but the kids were exhausted (pleading not to have to run with the things anymore) and I don't blame. They worked very hard.

No comments: