Thursday, August 17, 2006

Thunder and Lightning

Shikaoi experienced a long thunderstorm today of which the rain has yet to end. With rain now predicated for the rest of the day, I'll be sure to take my umbrella with me where ever I go. I thought it was noteworthy because the storm was different in many respects from the thunderstorms that normally cross Stony Plain in the Summer. This storm rumbled on for hours, from just before 5 AM to around 7 AM. Yes, that's right, it was a very early morning thunderstorm. Some of the worst thunderstorms I have ever seen happened in the morning. However, this thunderstorm was far less frantic than I expected. I only saw one flash of lightning and most of the thunder was very far away, sort of just rolling in and out. There were only a couple of booms that were anywhere close to Shikaoi. I think everyone in town heard the downpour and thunder because the weather is still warm here, around 22C, which means everyone's windows are open. Thunderstorms are a bit of a rarity in Shikaoi because of our proximity to the mountains which has a randomizing effect on our weather. The exact conditions for thunderstorms are never quite reached. Rain, however, is another thing, which we have no shortage of today or tomorrow.

No comments: