Friday, November 11, 2005

Saturday at home writing


I would like to give a shout out today to my good friends Drew (who is unable to read this blog), Sean E, and Pat who are participating this year in NaNoWriMo. I only found out recently that Sean E. and Drew were participating - they signed up a bit late - but I wish them luck. It sounds like all of us, spread all over the world, are planning to stay home today and write. Aren't we a bundle of fun? For those wondering, as of today Nov. 12, my wordcount today is: 17,815. That's 35.36% completed of 50,000 words. My plot has gone completely off the rails, but this was never a mission to write the Great Canadian Novel, but rather an exercise in creativity. It has not turned out to be a blackhole of spare time I had thought is was going to be, 1667 words a day is very manageable. Writing a novel is about the best excuse for blowing things off and leaving functions early; number one, its the truth, secondly, its easy to just slip out while the person is mentally digesting what you just said. After I post this I will make some more Jasmine Dragon Tears tea (thanks James!) and write a bit. Just to detail exactly how this process is continuing; today I plan three writing sessions, one this morning, another this afternoon, and again after dinner. I will also squeeze in a lunch with a friend, out of course, as a reward. After I finish writing this morning I am going to attack the dishes in the sink and sweep the house; so although NaNoWriMo can be a great excuse to let all parts of your life go, I still feel the need to keep some semblance of order in my life. Sunday is busier, I have a function at Chomin Hall with Shikaoi Elementary School all day. I know it's on a Sunday, but I'm expected to attend and I want to go anyway, I'll do anything is my kids ask, including, but not limited to, jumping through flaming hoops for their enjoyment. I hope everyone liked the pictures of snow; its actually really nice today, it's going to get above 10C today.

No comments: