Monday, September 26, 2005

The Shikaoi Visitors have left the Building

Its an odd situation to hear that the Shikaoi delegation has left Stony Plain but are not yet back in Japan as I write this. By all estimations the visit went off without a hitch and everyone will come back tired but with a slightly small conception of the world in their heads. I am happy also; my supply of fall peanut butter being restored.

I`m off to the High School soon, in about 20 min, to do a presentation on me and Stony Plain to the grade 10 students that will be coming to Stony Plain in October. The students have also written some questions, which I have received an advance copy of, to put to a real Stony Plain person. Some of the questions are easy, such as what is a popular food in Canada (pizza), and what is my favorite food (sandwiches). Other questions are more difficult because the countries are so different and have different cultural barometers. Such as; what is a popular trend in Canada? I will say Ipod (am I right Sean?) but this question illustrates a couple of interesting points if you have some context. In Japan, a national focus is seen in all national media. Tokyo, and with in that, a small area of Tokyo, is credited with perhaps, most - if not all - modern cultural generation. Simply put; they made all the trends (for various reason on how the media is structured). In Canada, quite the opposite is true, with a strong value placed on individuality. This leads to deeper questions of "why", which I think I have some insights into (rooted in an extremely high population density), but I will have to leave shortly and so will pass over the details today. Regardless, I am looking forward to making a good early impression of Stony Plain as AETs Jeff and Chris have.

Tonite, I think Kevin and I are going out for dinner. BBQ I think. Should be a good unwinding. (for a Tuesday?)

No comments: