Sunday, December 31, 2006

Mount Fuji

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Riding back on the express Nozomi Shinkensen yesterday from Osaka to Tokyo I had been keeping a sharp eye out the left hand side of the train. I remember listening to The Hive's "I Hate to Say I Told You So," and we were going near top speed, I was thinking, when is this extremely long tunnel going to end? and then suddently boom; Fuji-san in full sunlight looming right in front of me. We grabbed the camera and got the shot seen above. Fuji-san has been revered throughout Japanese history, though in contemporary times (by all accounts) it's become a very touristy hike. The reason I think it brings together both far extremes of Japanese culture - the traditional and uber-modern - is because as we sat on the engineering marvel that is the Bullet Train, we passed a picture perfect view of a real object right out of Japanese history. For the record, I think Shinkensens are the best way to travel and the ticket is worth every penny considering the experience and convenience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG It's beauuutiiiffuuul!!!!