Wednesday, September 13, 2006

How to Show Family Pictures to Kids

My neck is sooo sore. I don't think high school teachers ever come across this problem. A grade two student tried to sit on my head at a very odd angle. It was rather innocent because there were already others sitting on me thus all the good real estate was gone. Pushing one of the bigger kids off is not always an option for a pint-size grade two. This all came about because I wanted to show my students (at the after school day care) pictures I had printed off from this years Edmonton Folk Music Festival that my brother had uploaded. It was such a treat to receive pictures from the folk fest I missed that I wanted to share. I had planned to bring my small camera because I knew the students' reactions would be hilarious, which they were, but I forgot my camera, it would have only tied me down anyway. By far the biggest, most spontaneous reaction was "That's Canada!?!?!" And to complete the picture, normally this statement was accompanied by a small step back, as if the shear surprise was overwhelming. As my kids huddled around the pictures, I tried to answer the flurry of questions shot at me. Earlier, I had laminated the images because I knew, with these types of pictures, the kids would want to get very close to see the details. If the pictures are laminated I can just pass them around and not worry about them (it is very think plastic), then the students can put their noses right on the thing for all I care.

No comments: