Wednesday, June 28, 2006

どもくん

Japan is one country that has perfected cuteness; here it is both a science and an art. I have always tried to stay immune from such topics; considering it mind-numbing stuff. I have tired to ignore advertisements employing an infinite number of cute mascots. I have tried to avoid cute cell phones, cute paper towels, cute magazines, cute cars, cute shoes, cute canned drinks, etc. Shockingly, yesterday, I found myself staring at a picture of Japanese national TV broadcaster NHK's Domo-kun and felt like I knew him. I was enthralled, thinking, "My, he's a cute little monster. I'd like to meet him." There is some very Radioheadish about his design. And I could only ever love a monster. I especially like the following picture of Domo-kun about to devour a the TV - destroying the very thing that created him. It's either a representation of the best existential question dripping deep artistic irony, or, perhaps I am slowly being worn down, losing my edge, starting to go soft. I would very much like to by a stuffed Domo-kun; not to stick pins and needles into, but to treasure. Domo-kun's catch phrase would even melt the heart of Prime Minster Stephen Harper - someone who shook his kids' hands when dropping them off at school - saying, "doomuu." Some details from his Japanese webpage: He likes spicy BBQ. Lives in a cave, with a webcam of it on his site; very nice touch. His bio also says he actually likes TV; which I am assuming is some kind of mistake.

No comments: