Sunday, August 28, 2005

One Week From Today

We've all had a quiet Sunday here at home and now we are busy getting ready to go out for dinner to celebrate my mother and father's 29th anniversary. We're going to a late dinner at Jack's Grill in south Edmonton. I'm excited and will likely over look the seafood to have some meat, especially considering I leave a week from today. Much organizing and planning has been done and crunch time will soon arrive, meaning it will be time to pack. I am in the fortunate position of having packed up my life to move overseas once already in 1999 for my exchange to Japan. Even though I am surrounded with unknowns about such things as where I will be living and what I will be doing. It is hard to know the detail from 9000km away. I am still the picture of serenity. It's curious being so unworried about what lies ahead because many would characterize me as up tight about such planning and just a plain stick-in-the-mud about rules. All things aside I feel very undercontrol. Maybe ask me the same question later in the week.

This picture haunts me; forgetting something. It could be something big; such as forgetting my passport or plane ticket, or something small, like my lucky socks. As long as we don't leave any detail to chance, I imagine the whole move will go smoothly. My parents, when they visited Shikaoi last month, brought with them a big MEC bag containing my winter stuff and some books, to be left at our friend's house there for me. Also, in a worst case scenario, over the next two months, there will be two groups from Shikaoi visiting Stony Plain, who my parents will be hosting. An unusual situation but very convenient as a backup. A week, a week I keep telling myself. It hardly seems reality yet. All the images of a large packing process in progress around the house are seen but it hasn't hit me yet. Maybe I'm thinking about something else or I'm still digesting it. Certainly, my body is telling me something is going on as my sleep has been fretful most nights lately. This is a very unusually situation for me. My whole family and I sleep like the dead. Seven more sleeps. Seven more sleeps.

No comments: